Wednesday, October 29, 2008

One More Attempt

The orthosurgeon says: "That black shadow in your spine--it's arthritis! You need to see a neurosurgeon."
The neurosurgeon says: "I can't do a thing without and MRI so I have a complete look at where I'm going." After two tries when he can't lie down for more than two minutes, he says: "I don't order anesthesia for an MRI." Then what do we do, Doc? "I don't know. You need to see a physiologist."
The physiologist says: "You need physical therapy and some drugs for the pain."
The urologist says: "Your PSA is 41. That's cancer in your spine."
The oncologist says: "You can't take my chemo pill? I don't know what else to do." When asked about nutrition, his response was to say "I can't help you with that" and walk out of the room.

Every doctor looks at only his own little leaf, and no one sees the tree. So we're making one last attempt at the Cancer Treatment Center of America. They say they look at the whole person. They won't come up with any treatment until they know what we're dealing with.

What have we done to our medical professionals that they are afraid to say what they think? That they can't afford to show concern? That their nurses and receptionists must apologize for them? That they can't spend the time, even five minutes, to ask what would help most? That they pay no attention to pain level beyond a hydrocodone pill?

Where's Dr. Welby when we need him??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home